03 July 2010

Big Beef in the Big Apple

When I think about NY, I think about (don't laugh, now) premium beef. Blame it on my dad for bringing me to Tad's on my very first visit there. And on my sister too, with whom I once stayed for several months, for making me do the grocery where I always ended up grabbing a chunky slice of US-grade steak in the frozen meats section :P

***


The second branch in NY (first in the Lexington area), Rare Bar and Grill Chelsea - known  for its creative twists on its steak and burger dishes - opened only early this year. We were staying in the hotel where it was located and decided to check it out on our last night in NY. Kobe beef burgers and humongous steaks. And lovable beer.. Burp.


From the hotel lobby, the place didn't look like much - a narrow bar with a few corner tables. But as we were led inside, a staircase tucked at the corner of the bar opened to a spacious dining area with a high ceiling. The en vogue interiors, dramatic lighting and upbeat background music reflected a hip atmosphere (this was, after all, the fashion district).


The Cowboy Ribeye Steak was as big as our dinner plates back home and about more than an inch thick. Served medium as requested, it layed on a bed of truffle spinach risotto and was topped with a slab of bleu cheese. Red wine mushroom sauce came on the side. The meat was so tender and succulent, tasting only as it should without any fancy marinade. The accompaniments blended in well and weren't overpowering.


The restaurant's Rare Classic Burger didn't disappoint either. It was simple yet very tasty, highlighting the tender smoky flavor of the kobe beef. There were several dressings to choose from - I opted for the chipotle aioli, which added a bit of garlicky zing to the dish.



Washing down all that heavenly meat with cold beer almost made me forget that a bottle was $8 plus tax. In casual Manila, that would've bought me about 6 bottles ! Heck, I wasn't picking up the tab, anyway. I succumbed and ordered one more :)


152 West 26th Street
New York, NY USA
(212) 807-7273

No comments: